As the name implies, Mind-Body Intervention is a family of therapeutic techniques aimed at training the mind to “intervene” in — and correct — undesired or unhealthy patterns in the body.
These “patterns” run a wide gamut:
- Skin picking disorders — compulsive skin picking or dermatillomania
- Finger picking disorders — compulsive finger picking and compulsive toe picking
- Hair-related disorders — Trichotillomania and trichophagia
Some Good Mind-Body Interventions for Compulsive Picking
Mind-body interventions that can be particularly helpful for compulsive picking include:
- Meditation and relaxation routines to lessen the impulse to pick
- To train the mind to focus in both active and passive concentration — use hypnosis in conjunction with meditation
- Visualization techniques — such as those used in habit-reversal training
- Yoga practice to condition the body
- Therapies focuses on the controlled stimulation of the senses like aromatherapy or autosuggestion
- Various other “branded” therapies such as Feldenkrais Method, Trager Approach and Alexander Technique
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Be sure to visit the Community Forums